Tuesday, January 17, 2012

papa alpha india november sierra uncle charlie kilo sierra....ppphhhhhtttthhh!!!

awesome evening last summer -- 1st time brian p had seen james & his blasting band... i didn't know i was gonna film this til the song started & i realized w/a start what a gas we all were in for. this is one of james's own compositions; like me, but even more so, he is a train nut, so to combine that theme w/blues seems natch for him.
well, how are you? my guts are killing me; this must be what labor feels like. i've accomplished next-to-nothing in the past few days: some household chores, larry sanders marathon, surfing net, catching up on old new yorker mags, each moment out of bed being so much toil... oh, this cursed pain. arrghhh. i realized 30 mins ago two of my friends are suffering horrible stomach pain, far worse than mine; is it the stars? coincidence? worry about friends? psychosomatic? "that bug that's been going around?" pain's the body's alert system: we are out of homeostasis! do something before the ship explodes!! sometimes i know, tho, recovering from illness just takes time. the "do something" means lie low, stupid, & rest. owwwwww...
bill cosby's joke (paraphrased): "my wife told me, 'would you like to know what labor is like?' 'yes,' i said, 'i would,' so she tells me, 'well, take hold of your bottom lip,' 'uh-uh, ok, i'm doin it, honey, what's next...' 'now pull it over your head...'"
we used to listen to bill cosby records all the time when we were kids, especially the routines "go carts," "chickenheart," and "tonsils." i'm comforted remembering all this. nearly anything can be made funny -- hence kenneth mars' character in "the producers," or singers like james who take the real blues of living & transform it into something wild & astonishing, or a thousand other examples of tears of pain becoming tears of laughter & joy via the alchemy of comedy... some might argue, in fact, that humor derives from pain, but that don't wash w/me as an absolute. whatever your take on it, i do believe that blessed is he who laughs, but even more blessed is he(she) who makes another laugh... time to go lie down. and watch something funny. if i'm lucky, on a whoopee cushion. :)

2 comments:

Memphis Mike said...

Oh kiddo...I feel your pain...in more ways than one! Having lived with rheumatoid arthritis now for 38 of my 45 years, pain and I are old friends. Stomach pain...I know too well too! (thank you again Wendy's for the not one but TWO seperate bouts of food poisoning. The one en route from PA to TN was especially entertaining. And lasted for 3 days! Can you say "Rest Stop Roulette" kids? LOL Thank God for KY's many, many rest stops!)

Anyhoo, hope you feel better MUCHO SOON! If you need anything that I can provide, do NOT hesitate to ask! Until then, I'll be praying for you and sending all the good vibes I can!

In the meantime, "Noah...can you tread water?" ;-)

ZHOOPA ZHOOPA ZHOOPA!

ML2U!

M

Anonymous said...

Get Well Soon.