Thursday, December 17, 2009

better cleopat than giant andre, i spose

"Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale
Her infinite variety; other women cloy
The appetites they feed, but she makes hungry
Where most she satisfies" (antony & cleopatra)
(blogger won't let me add the image i'd like to, of mehitabel from don marquis' archy &..., one of my all-time favorite reads...)
i got the "cleopatra" comparison again this past wkend & then again today, which is much more flattering than if i were told i resembled, say, andre the giant, but it prompted me to look her up & find this awesome quote... the line favoring her over other women makes me a little queasy, for isn't that the problem for too many of us fems? comparing your outsides to my insides? revolted by but under the lash of "you can never be too rich or thin"? that whole line of blah?
despite it, i felt a tad powerful reading the quote, tho it's not about me, & maybe becky (cattie ness) would say it's the uncanny recognition of the goddess w/in, or maybe it's just a cool quote... ok, just sitting here glutted on oatmeal waiting for it to digest so i can go for a jog, then go play at the school's winter concert this eve, then a little party, then hope to hit at least pt of my home mtg... if you're in covina fri, come see me w/the big manny band! sat dusk devils are at branding iron! (read post below for links)
happy warm eve to all. :) xoxoxoxxoxoxoxox

4 comments:

Memphis Mike said...

Jenopatra, Queen of the Kern...O she of bright eyes and laughing smile...a smile bigger than that big ol' Andre the French wrestler dude! ;-)

May your oatmeal digest smoothly and may all things in your way be, at the very least, interesting. ;-)

Anonymous said...

     “A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.”

Shakespeare had a lot of insight into the human condition

Anonymous said...

Btw... so did the cockroach..... archy

Anonymous said...

The first Cleopatra I remember was Claudette Colbert(anyone know her) - I was watching her on late night tv when I was in high school - she was the "hottest" girl I had ever seen- then I found out she was over 80- oh well....