Monday, January 27, 2020

Sober

There's a funny song by Piano Red by that name. When you're sober, you agree to no longer imbibe artificial instantaneous (tho temporary) relief. A sober person's just gotta take life's lumps and learn to deal w it, be willing to grow up, to show up, to give up... All that, tho, to get a life.
I've been sober 1 day at a time for 8,973 days. If I continue, I will get to celebrate 25 yrs w/o booze in Detroit at the world convention July 4 wknd. Nothing's more important & this whole life I get to live rests on my sobriety.
But most ppl don't stay sober. Jails institutions and death are the usual. Or going on day after interminable day. Or repeatedly stumbling, which I think over time would beat a soul down.
So far that's not been my lot.
I am supremely thankful, & I pray right now, again & again, that I don't forget.

No comments: