Friday, September 04, 2009

(wo)man's best friend(s)



when the world is disappointing, dogs never disappoint (well, except when gusgus pees on my rugs). the top pic is of "the boys," who came to visit the other night & accompanied me as i put together a shelf & watched the simpsons. roscoe is the border collie; i used to joke we should have named him "fireworks" bc at the dog park, he jumps so high to catch his frisbee, people ooh & aah. he is a hyper & intelligent canine who knew 47 words & phrases, last i heard (& tho he looks like psycho dog in the 2nd pic, he's just yawning). on the right is gusgus, my texas walmart mutt who resembles a hovawart. he is lovable & kind-natured & just likes to be petted & eat. he is so sweet & devoted that when he digs holes & pees, it's forgivable. we used to call him "our special boy" bc unlike roscoe (named after chicken & waffles), gusgus (named by my little cousins in tx) is no rocket scientist. the last pic is of willie, the devil or angel mutt i brought home from school, but had to return bc i can't have pets (tho they visit).
a few dog quotes: dogs are miracles with paws (s. kennedy). my little dog - a heartbeat at my feet (e. wharton). we long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment (g. eliot). dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. for me they are the role model for being alive (g. radner). dogs are proof of god (my sister angie).

2 comments:

Memphis Mike said...

Reminds me of the weiner dogs that used to share my abode, Otis & Dixie. Otis would sleep at my feet & Dixie, a natural healer if ever there was one, would lay along my spine. She obviously knew I had a bad back! She also always knew when I had a sinus infection brewing...she's sniff and lick this one spot on my cheek...turned out thats where the infection was!
Critters are great! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenny.... I just heard you sing for the first time. Your voice on the slow parts of green door is incredible